Ahh, Spring. The time of blooming cherry trees and crocus. The soft escape from winter. The season of rebirth and regrowth. And...an endless indecisiveness. If anything makes me nervous, it's being in a constant state of 'in between'.
Yes, this whishy-washy sister of summer puts us in dilemmas. It's often too cold for a skirt, but too warm for a long thick coat (there goes a classic). Even our shoe game is put at stake. Embrace the peep toe or safely buckle up in something boot-like? But the biggest challenge of all remains my make up bag.
Sudden changes of weather conditions ask for options, especially in terms of beauty. I over pack and over stack everything in my life. Shoes, crunchy cookies, sticky notes but most of all lipsticks. They say the content your bag often represents your lifestyle. If you are like me, your bag probably looks like a whirlwind of surprises. A bit like spring, ironically.
In order to make peace with my bag - and life a bit easier - I came up with a little formula. Nothing mathematical, it's all practical. Better yet, a tool kit of 6 Spring beauty essentials (Sabrina already made a Winter version HERE).
1. A versatile, long wearing foundation stick. For instance this one from Bobbi Brown. This pocketsize bad boy feels weightless and has a firm, creamy texture that blends in perfectly with your skin color.
2. A nourishing, covering concealer. Unfortunately, we can't buy sleep. But we can cover dark circles. This creamy and pressed powder combo, again from Bobbi, does it like no other. How can she be so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed despite having been up all night?
3. A multifaceted lip palette. Don't let the Barbie connotation of this product scare you. They are not exclusively for six year olds. The Pro Lip Palette in Editorial Oranges from MAC contains six (what's in a number?) colors in vibrant, orange hues. Yay, options! Names include Sheen Supreme, Sandy B and Look At Her. That alone is reason enough to equip oneself with this palette, isn't it?
4. An all-purpose blush. Some beauty looks work great with sun kissed cheeks. Others call for a rosier glow, or even a combination of both. The Terracotta Four Seasons Bronzer from Guerlain gives the possibility to work with bronze and pink shades separately, as well as together. A huge plus!
5. A multidimensional eye shadow palette. A perfect neutral matte or a bold smokey eye? The great thing about this more compact version of the Naked Palette by Urban Decay is the way it allows to build. Rich in pigment, with just a hint of satin.
6. A high precision mascara. What opens up your eyes more than mascara? Le Volume de Chanel helps to achieve instant volume in a single stroke. Whether you prefer full or subtle, separated lashes, the short bristles of this mascara allows enough play.
Brows, lips, cheeks and eyes, this setup provides the ingredients to a menu of fresh looks. From a self-respected 'barely there' style to a dramatic party look, it’s all covered in this little mix.
But, wait a minute. You need proof? This post calls for a cliffhanger...
Skin Foundation Stick, Bobbi Brown; Concealer Kit, Bobbi Brown; Pro Lip Palette [Editorial Oranges], MAC; Terracotta Four Seasons Bronzer , Guerlain; Naked Basic Palette, Urban Decay; Le Volume Mascara [Vert Grisé], Chanel.